If the time has come for a kitchen renovation, you are incredibly lucky to have found this article at such a time, as we offer a few valuable tips to ensure that you are happy with the outcome. Of course, the first thing to determine is the scope of the project; are you planning on ripping everything out and start from scratch, or are you happy with most of the appliances and would rather change the colours and retile the floor?
Here are a few project planning tips from the experts.
- Look for trade prices – Whether an eco-friendly fridge or granite worktops, always try to find a supplier who offers trade prices. Google is invaluable when you are looking for the lowest prices and many Australian suppliers offer free delivery.
- Always cost the project –If you don’t do this, you could end up paying a lot more than you should. If you are planning to use a local kitchen renovation contractor, give them your budget at the outset and see what they propose. Once a budget is set, do make sure that the quoted price is all-inclusive, otherwise, you might have a nasty shock when the bill arrives.
- Buy top brands – When buying kitchen appliances, it makes sense to go for hi-end brands, as they stand the test of time. Sure, you could find a much cheaper unit than LG, but if you want the best quality appliances that are built to last, LG is a good choice.
- Think design – Spend a great deal of time on your kitchen layout, with functionality in mind and if you are having problems, talk to a kitchen designer and let him work his magic. The kitchen triangle, stove, sink and fridge is a good layout, with two on one side of the kitchen and one on the opposite side.
- Think maintenance – If you are like most people, you don’t like housework and by choosing the right materials, you can cut down maintenance and cleaning is simple. Wipe with a damp cloth and your kitchen will always look like new. Quality granite worktops are ideal and they last a lifetime, while glass is also a great kitchen material.
- YouTube videos – If you are an avid DIY-er but are not confident about certain projects, there will be tutorial videos that clearly show the methods. Whether tiling, plumbing or how to fix cabinets, it’s all on YouTube.
- Luxury vinyl flooring – The latest generation of luxury vinyl flooring comes in stunning finishes; timber, stone and slate designs allow you to complement the decor; vinyl is extremely hardwearing and is ideal for wet environments.
If you are planning to carry out the work yourself, you can save a small fortune in labour costs and we hope the above tips help you to design and build your dream kitchen.