Table of Contents
Maintaining your eating habits while on a keto diet can be difficult, especially when you are travelling because there are often limited food alternatives available. But don’t worry; in this blog, we’ll look at how you can stick to the Keto diet plan while travelling and make the most of your trip without jeopardising your health goals.
Understanding the Keto Diet
Before we into ways of staying on track with regards to your Keto Journey, let’s first define the Keto diet. The ketogenic diet is a low-carb, high-fat and moderate protein diet that aims to get your body in the state of ketosis. In ketosis, your body burns fat for energy rather than carbohydrates, which has a variety of health benefits, including weight loss.
Challenges of Following a Keto Diet While Traveling
Maintaining a nutritious diet can be difficult for those with any kind of medical condition, not just those on the ketogenic diet. There are many difficulties while travelling;
- Restricted Food Options: Carb-heavy items are usually found at petrol pumps, airports and fast-food restaurants.
- Cultural Cuisine: You are more inclined towards exploring the local cuisine when travelling, even though it might not fit into the Keto diet.
- Social Pressure: When travelling with loved ones, there may be pressure to consume what they are eating.
- Convenience: It can be difficult to prepare keto-friendly meals when travelling.
Tips for Eating Keto on the Go
Here’s how to stay on track with your Keto diet during your travels:
- Make a Plan
Look up eateries and cuisine possibilities when you get there. Nowadays, a lot of eateries provide menu options that are keto and low-carb.
- Bring Snacks.
To help you resist giving in to high-carb temptations, carry snacks like almonds, seeds, or protein bars that are keto-friendly.
- Periodic Fasting
When travelling, think about limiting your eating window and making simpler food choices by fasting intermittently.
- Make Wise Food Selections: When dining out, stick to salads, grilled proteins, and non-starchy veggies.
- Maintain Hydration: To stay hydrated and sustain energy levels, drink lots of water and think about packing electrolyte supplements.
- Unique Requests: Never be afraid to ask for specials at restaurants, such as veggie sides in place of carb-heavy ones.
Keto Travel-Friendly Foods
Although it can be challenging to stick to the recommended diet plan, you can always consider consuming wholesome and portable keto cuisine. You can certainly have fun on vacation without compromising your diet if you prepare ahead of time. The following foods are keto-friendly, portable, and ideal for on-the-go:
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Beef or turkey jerky
- Cheese sticks or slices
- Peanut butter Sandwich
- Nuts and Seeds
- Nut butter packets
- Dark chocolate (with 85% cocoa or higher)
Here are some keto-friendly meal options that you may get on the travel;
- Salads with grilled chicken or fish, olive oil and vinegar dressing, and avocado – For breakfast and evening snacks.
- Vegetable stir-fries with tofu or shrimp – For lunch or dinner
- Grilled chicken or fish with roasted vegetables – For lunch or dinner
- Hard-boiled eggs with avocado and cheese – For Breakfast
With careful preparation, it is possible to stick to a Keto diet when travelling. You can enjoy your journey without deviating from your fitness and health objectives if you are organised and make thoughtful decisions.