Get the most bang for your buck with decor accents that can do double duty. Your decorative pieces don’t have to be just decorative – there are a number of versatile decor pieces that can help you give the finishing touch to your space, as well as many other tasks. Important aspects of home décor are the decorative pieces and home accents that you use to complement and enhance the overall décor and furnishings of your home. Furniture includes furniture, and while beautiful furniture goes a long way in making a home what it is, it’s nothing without small items to complement it.
Among these small decorative items are vases, trays, candles, bookends, and figurines that can be used to create home accents that can both set and enhance the theme of any room. To this list you can add oil paintings, engravings, lamps and tissue box cover that have a special purpose and are fully consistent with the environment in which they are used.
Here are my top five choices for multifunctional décor accents:
- Colorful jugs. Pitchers are one of my favorite decor accents. Not only do they look amazing, they can be used in many different ways. Place them on a shelf to add color to a boring space; use them as a flower vase; serve drinks at a party or family gathering. Nothing beats a set of colorful jugs for multi-use and great style!
- Decorative candlesticks. Candlesticks and candleholders are a great way to add elegance to any space, from the middle of your dining table to edge tables, fireplaces, shelves and dressers. But so often we forget that candle holders can actually serve a purpose, as candles are a great way to add soft lighting to any room. Create a romantic mood at the dinner table, add a festive glow to your next party, or just get away from the gloomy chill of a winter night… Candlesticks are the perfect choice for a little extra light and lots of decorative accents. .
- Ottomans: When you look at the ottoman, you may see a modest footstool, but I see one of the most versatile pieces of furniture in the house! Sure, ottomans make great footstools, but they can also do so much more. In a pinch, use the ottoman as a coffee table or use it as an extra seat at a crowded party. Many ottomans even have a hidden storage compartment, making them much more versatile. If you need small furniture that can support its own weight, I highly recommend an ottoman. After all, what other furniture can serve so many different purposes!
- Planters. Sure, planters are great for houseplants, but did you know there can be more? Use a clean planter to store extra throw pillows and throws in your living room. Convert your planter into a party drink cooler. Use a small planter to store magazines or even mail. You will be surprised at how well you can use decorative planters both in your interior and in your busy life – just think a little outside the box and a simple planter becomes amazingly useful.
- Trays. Another favorite piece of jewelry is the humble tray. Often overlooked as potentially boring, trays are available in a wide range of eye-catching designs, from metallic swirls to woven bamboo and carved wood. I often use trays when decorating: I hang a large wrought iron tray over the mantelpiece, put another one on a side table, use another one as a plant stand… Decorative Trays can also be used for a variety of practical purposes, from serving drinks to serving a makeshift lap table before being used as a counter by the door for small items such as phones and keys. There seems to be no end to how the tray can be used in the interior or in everyday life.