Table of Contents
Benefits Of EPDM Flooring
EPDM rubber is a compound of two materials, the EPDM Flooring and carbon black with colorants in powder form which are mixed together. This makes it have better flexibility and abrasion resistance characteristics. In comparison to other based compounds such as SBR, its resistance against wear and tear is comparatively much higher for years.
Since e-engineered polymers consist of synthetic rubbers which contain a high percentage of ethylene. These types of flooring generally possess slow rebound rate after being subjected to pressure changes. However, this disadvantage can easily be overcome if the floor made from this type of material is installed on top of concrete foundation or any kind of properly vapour-able underlayment like rock wool pad. And it’s worth noting that EPDM rubber possesses resistance against mildew, ozone and UV rays.
Its Resistance Against Wear And Tear:
One of the benefits of e-engineered polymers is its outstanding resistance against wear and tear. It can last for years without getting damaged or torn because of its nature to become tougher with time. It’s highly resistant against acid, alkali and various other chemicals too. This kind of floor matting also has good insulating properties which keeps it warm enough during winters while making it cool in summers when required.
The non-slip property makes it easy to walk on this kind of flooring even in rainy conditions outdoors or indoors as well. Floor made from such material doesn’t crack under high temperatures too. Since it doesn’t get affected by age, it’s chemical resistance property makes it a good flooring option for areas exposed to heavy traffic or chemicals. Since this material is considered a non-woven type of construction and has a loosely interlock mesh like structure which gives it flexibility at edges. The chances of tearing are reduced considerably.
1) Resistance against wear and tear:
This is one of the benefits of e-engineered polymers which most textile based textures lack. It can last for years without getting damaged or torn because of its nature to become tougher with time.
2) Comfort level:
The non-slip property makes it easy to walk on this kind of flooring even in rainy conditions outdoors or indoors as well. Floor made from such material doesn’t crack under high temperatures too. Since it doesn’t get affected by age, it’s chemical resistance property makes it a good flooring option for areas exposed to heavy traffic or chemicals.
It can be cleaned with plain water and doesn’t need any kind of cleansers or detergents during the cleaning process.
Since this material is considered non-woven type of construction and has a loosely interlock mesh like structure which gives it flexibility at edges, the chances of tearing are reduced considerably.
5 Advantages Of EPDM Flooring
- Comfort: This is one of the most important benefits of e-engineered polymers. EPDM rubber has a softer texture which makes it very comfortable to walk on such kind of flooring even after long hours.
- Sound absorption: Once this kind of material is installed onto any surface, not only it reduces the amount of noise heard at lower frequency but also manages to reduce higher frequency sounds too and hence provides a better environment for people living in that place.
- Impermeability: As per research conducted by various reputed institutions, EPDM rubber can withstand hydrostatic pressure up to 25psi without getting punctured or compressed as compared to other based materials like SBR which can only resist 10psi, NR which can resist up to 15psi and NBR can resist upto 20psi of hydrostatic pressure.
4) Non PVC material: This is one of the major benefits that make it a must have in your flooring choices as most PVC based materials are known for emitting toxic fumes when burnt and are also very harmful to skin causing allergies, rashes or infection.
5) Resistant against water leakage and air leakage: The material used in manufacturing EPDM rubber is 100% virgin and has no recyclable content too hence it doesn’t emit any kind of smell or hazardous gas while being installed on a floor.
6) Wear resistant property: Though EPDM rubber has a lower rebound rate then textile based textures like SBR, NR and NBR, it performs well even after heavy usage.
This kind of rubber is also used in manufacturing of refrigerator door seals, automotive engine belts. Electrical switches and controls among others but as compared to other types of EPDM rubbers having different compositions than this one. It shows better performance against toxicity and hence is a popular choice for home owners too.
Being resistant against water damage makes it a valuable asset in coastal regions where flooding or high tides occur often due to storms. Homeowners can use it as the flooring option for kitchens or bathrooms too. Performing well even after years has made this kind of floor coverings the favorite choice for people who are concerned about their health while living in houses with pets and kids homes.